Because of the huge amount of snow that we have received in Calgary this winter, there has been many incidences of Ice Damming. How do you know that you have an ice dam on your roof? For starters, if you step away from your house and have a look at the edge of the eaves and the eaves trough you may actually be able to see the ice that has formed along the edge of the roof line and into the trough. Or you may see water actually dripping through the soffit and causing ice build up in the form of icicles and down your exterior walls. See photos below.
What you may have noticed inside your house is that you have water coming into your house around some of your windows or it might be dripping down inside the wall assembly and then soaking your carpet and drywall.
In some worst case scenarios, the ice may actually tear the soffit, fascia and eaves trough right off the building from the weight of the ice and icicles hanging there as it did on a building in Bridgeland. See below.
Basically, the cause of the ice damming on the roof is warm air rising through your attic and then melting the snow pack on your roof. The melted snow runs down into the eaves trough where it refreezes (extended periods of freezing cold temperatures eg., -20C for weeks on end make the ice dam process worse). This process keeps repeating and soon you have a huge build up of ice in the eaves trough and along the edge of your roof. With more snow falling on your roof, it continues to melt until the water has nowhere else to go (because now the trough is completely full) and it starts to back up underneath your shingles and into the inside of the house sometimes even coming in around the inside of your windows. Your windows aren't leaking - you have water sitting on your roof!
The immediate solution is to get up on the roof and shovel off any remaining snow that is sitting on it - or try using a roof rake that you can buy at the box stores. Then chop some chanels in the ice dam so that any remaining water can at least flow over top of the eaves trough and then onto the ground. You may have to call a company such as ours, to have this work done safely. Getting on and off a roof can be challenging at any time, let alone when there is slippery ice and snow on it! If the eaves trough has been bent or torn away from the roof line like the pictures above then you will need to call a contractor that can repair any damage that has occured.
The long term solution is that you need to add more insulation in your attic. This will stop the snow pack on your roof from melting and then re- freezing at the edge during frigid cold snaps in the first place. Without the continual snow melt / re-freeze cycle, you will not have the ice dam forming in the troughs and along the edge of the roof line and no water backing up under the roof shingles.
For a more in depth explanation or if you are experiencing any of these problems, call us, we can help! 403-640-1334
In addition to an hour-long presentation by various experts, attendees can participate in a round-table discussion with BBB-Accredited contractors and get answers to their questions. A general contractor, the City of Calgary permitting expert, electrician, flooring specialist, siding contractor, windows specialist and kitchen renovator will be available to answer your questions and discuss emerging trends.
Location: Thorncliffe Greenview Community Association 5800 Centre Street N
Date: Tuesday, March 13, 2018
Doors Open: 6:00 pm
Presentations: 6:15-7:00 pm
Round Table: 7:00-8:00 pm
Mini-Tradeshow/Ask the Experts: 8:00-9:00
Admission is free and pre-registration is encouraged!
The first signs of spring are right around the corner and so is the 2018 Calgary Home and Garden Show! Visit us in booth #179 at the front of the main hall. Click here for a $4 ticket discount on adult admission. Get a head start on planning the exterior of your home before summer arrives.
Thursday, March 1: Noon - 9:00 pm
Friday, March 2: Noon - 9:00 pm
Saturday, March 3: 10:00 am - 9:00 pm
Sunday, March 4: 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
There are some amazing presenters lined up at the show speaking about tiny homes to growing your own garden. Of course, if you want information about best siding options in Calgary or best windows options in Calgary make sure to visit our booth. We can answer all your questions.
- Rebates of up to $1500 are available for windows that are upgraded to Energy Star rated triple pane (aka triple glazed), low-E, argon windows. For those of you with the old aluminum type sliders, now is the time to have these replaced with maintenance free vinyl windows, as you would qualify for the largest rebates!
- Rebates of up to $3500 are available for insulation that is upgraded. Typically in older homes, the framing of the home is of 2" x 4" construction which, when the walls are insulated, gives an insulating R-value of 12 or simply "R-12 insulation". Homes built to today's standards are built using 2" x 6" construction and once the walls are insulated, they have an insulating R-value of 20 or simply "R-20 insulation". In regards to main wall insulation, the Government of Alberta grant would come into effect when a homeowner upgrades the wall insulation from R-12 to R-20. This can be achieved by adding 1 1/2" polyisocyanurate insulation to the exterior of the home before residing it. (Pictured above is Roxul mineral wool exterior insulation.)
- Adex Stucco (1)
- Alberta Renovation Warranty Program (1)
- Basement Windows (1)
- Calgary Doors (1)
- Calgary Home and Design Show 2016 (1)
- Calgary Home and Garden Show (2)
- Calgary Ice Damming (1)
- Calgary Renovation Show (1)
- Calgary Siding (1)
- Calgary Windows (1)
- Canadian Home Builders Association (1)
- Concrete coring (1)
- Contemporary Doors (1)
- Damage from Ice Damming (1)
- Design Services (2)
- Doors (3)
- Egress Windows (1)
- Energy Efficiency Alberta Rebate Program (1)
- Full Service Showroom (2)
- Hail Resistant siding (1)
- hardie panel (1)
- Ice Damming Calgary (1)
- james hardie (4)
- james hardie siding (7)
- North Star Windows (3)
- Portatec Doors (3)
- preferred contractor (2)
- Promotions (3)
- RenoMark™ (1)
- replacement windows (4)
- S.I.S. (1)
- S.I.S. Open House (3)
- siding (5)
- Stucco (1)
- Wall Insulation Calgary (1)
- window condensation (1)
- Window Wise Certified Contractor (1)
- Windows Calgary (2)
- Woodpeckers (1)