Installing siding requires skill and expertise. You can’t hire just anyone to do it, let alone do everything yourself. The contractor you choose for this project must have the necessary skills, expertise and experience to get the job done. Before you hire one, make sure you ask these important questions:
1. “Are you licensed and insured?” As a homeowner, you need qualified siding contractors. Ask for a business license to make sure they may operate in your area. They must hold enough insurance to protect you from liability in case of an accident.
2. “Does your estimate include all costs?” Ensure that the cost of labor, supplies, garbage removal, relevant permits and any contractor extras are documented during your consultation. This will help keep the project’s costs from ballooning and also prevent confusion. Also, ensure that you have a copy so that you can avoid incurring additional, unnecessary expenses.
3. “What’s your procedure for the removal of old siding?” Professional siding contractors would add a trash bin to the roadside to collect siding installation waste. They will then haul it away, leaving not even a finishing nail on your sidewalk. This is the type of treatment you desire, and you should accept nothing less.
4. “Do you have a list of references?” Request a list of references, especially from their five most recent projects. After getting their contact information, inquire about their experience working with the siding specialists. You may then assess whether or not the prospective siding contractor meets your needs.
5. “How long will it take to complete the project?” Even though severe weather is beyond the control of workers, there are certain types of delays in the completion of a siding job that you must avoid. A major red flag is a contractor that begins a repair, installation or makeover, and then leaves for a week to work on other properties. Ensure that your home will be worked on continuously until completion.
S.I.S. Exterior Renovations offers a wide selection of exterior cladding products. From vinyl, aluminum and cedar to wood composite and cement-based materials, including the popular James Hardie® siding, to handsome stone and stucco, there are numerous products and profiles to suit any need.
Call us at (403) 640-1334, or complete our online form to schedule a free estimate. We’re ready to transform your exterior with beautiful new siding!